guix-devel

Re: my latest blog post

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: my latest blog post
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 15:49:29 +0200

Hello!

Catonano <address@hidden> skribis:

> In this post I discuss Guix
>
> And I discuss Guile too
>
> I understand that the language is strong and I expect someone to be upset
>
> But I feel this is due
>
> Happy reading
>
> http://catonano.v22018025836661967.nicesrv.de/the-gnu-community.html

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!  I pretty much agree with the kind
words about the Guix group. ;-)

I didn’t know (I suppose I didn’t pay attention) to what happened to you
in Guile land, and I’m sad you experienced it and felt bad about the
whole story.

I feel that “GNU is toxic” and “Guile is toxic” are unhelpful, though.
I mean, we are GNU, and we are Guile.  GNU has its own set of problems
that we’ll have to deal with, and it’s a very big organization with its
own history etc., so improving things is difficult.  But Guile is a
small community, and I’m sure we can improve.

To me, the lesson as a Guile co-maintainer is that we should be paying
more attention in general.  I consider myself partly responsible for
this in that, although I’m still officially co-maintainer, I haven’t
been paying much attention to what’s going on on the Guile channels.  We
shouldn’t let hostile conversations like the one you experienced on
#guile through.  Perhaps what we need is someone to step up and help out
with Guile?  We should all care.

Thank you,
Ludo’.