guix-devel

Environment variables in Guix and GuixSD

From: swedebugia
Subject: Environment variables in Guix and GuixSD
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 08:13:40 +0100

Hi

I noticed during my years of reading this list that difficulties stemming from wrong environment variables or lack of knowledge of the importance of these is VERY common among (new) guix users.

To help everyone I wonder if it is possible for Guix to automatically register all these suggested changes to variables that happen after installing a package and check whether the user did his job of managing this correctly and help if not.

What do you think?

E.g.:

$ guix check

Found 10 needed environment variables in the database.

Checking current user environment...

Found 1 potential problem:

"/user/.guix-profile/bin" is missing from $PATH

This is needed to find binaries bla bla.

See how to set this variable in the manual section.

--
Cheers
Swedebugia