guix-devel

Re: Environment variables in Guix and GuixSD

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Environment variables in Guix and GuixSD
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 12:38:34 +0100

Hello Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. nov. 6., K, 12:32):

> Hello,
>
> swedebugia <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > I noticed during my years of reading this list that difficulties
> > stemming from wrong environment variables or lack of knowledge of the
> > importance of these is VERY common among (new) guix users.
> >
> > To help everyone I wonder if it is possible for Guix to automatically
> > register all these suggested changes to variables that happen after
> > installing a package and check whether the user did his job of
> > managing this correctly and help if not.
>
> Upon completion, ‘guix package’ tells which additional environment
> variables may need to be defined.  There’s also ‘guix package
> --search-paths’ and the generated ‘etc/profile’ file.

I have seen in the /etc/profile file that it suggest you to do something like

source $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile.

This causes problems on systems where the startup file is executed by
a posix /bin/sh, as this is bash specific.

Any reason not to use

. $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/sh

instead in that hint?

(I noticed this on debian, .xsessionrc is using /bin/sh to interpret
this when starting up the x session, and that defaults to dash
on debian and derivatives.)

> Do you think we need something in addition to this?
>
> I was under the impression that Guix does better than the alternatives
> when it comes to environment variable settings, but of course, I’m
> biased.  ;-)
>
> Thank you,
> Ludo’.

Best regards,