guix-devel

Re: Environment variables in Guix and GuixSD

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Environment variables in Guix and GuixSD
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 12:32:13 +0100

Hello,

swedebugia <address@hidden> skribis:

> I noticed during my years of reading this list that difficulties
> stemming from wrong environment variables or lack of knowledge of the
> importance of these is VERY common among (new) guix users.
>
> To help everyone I wonder if it is possible for Guix to automatically
> register all these suggested changes to variables that happen after
> installing a package and check whether the user did his job of
> managing this correctly and help if not.

Upon completion, ‘guix package’ tells which additional environment
variables may need to be defined.  There’s also ‘guix package
--search-paths’ and the generated ‘etc/profile’ file.

Do you think we need something in addition to this?

I was under the impression that Guix does better than the alternatives
when it comes to environment variable settings, but of course, I’m
biased.  ;-)

Thank you,
Ludo’.