guix-devel

Re: NPM importer

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: NPM importer
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 20:58:55 +0100

Hi :)

On 2018-11-20 08:50, Julien Lepiller wrote:
Well, minimist is not a small package. I have a small script somewhere that
browse the registry to find recursively the list of dependencies of a package.
I tried to run it on minimist and I stopped it after a few thousand different
packages were found. That's also why we can't make a recursive importer: it
would almost never end.

I think my plan was to build these packages without testing them at all,
focusing on packaging test frameworks that will be needed to test other
packages.

ok.

See this script that builds a graph of dependencies, ignoring devDependencies
(so none of the packages listed by this script is going to be tested):
https://framagit.org/tyreunom/guix/snippets/2534

Unfortunately I did not understand how to use the script :/
I got this after wgetting the snippet:
scheme@(guile-user)> (load "npm-explorer.scm")
digraph dependencies {
overlap=false;
splines=true;
"mocha" -> "supports-color";
"supports-color" -> "has-flag";
"mocha" -> "glob";s
"glob" -> "inherits";
"glob" -> "fs.realpath";
"glob" -> "minimatch";
"minimatch" -> "brace-expansion";
"brace-expansion" -> "concat-map";
"brace-expansion" -> "balanced-match";
"glob" -> "path-is-absolute";
"glob" -> "once";ges
"once" -> "wrappy";s
^Conce [color=red];
"glob" -> "inflight";
"inflight" -> "once";
"inflight" -> "wrappy";
"mocha" -> "mkdirp";
"mkdirp" -> "minimist";
"mocha" -> "commander";
"mocha" -> "he";ages
"mocha" -> "diff";es
"mocha" -> "minimatch";
"mocha" -> "escape-string-regexp";
"mocha" -> "growl";s
"mocha" -> "debug";s
"debug" -> "ms";ages
"mocha" -> "browser-stdout";

}
$1 = #t

Can you explain how to use it?

Not testing these packages is maybe less problematic than not testing other
kinds of packages because we are packaging the same thing as developpers test,
in a similar environment.

It sounds like a good start. This mess is not a situation we created, we do our best to shoehorn these packages into a reproducible environment that the js-devs does not really care about or gave up on long ago.

Even if we succeed to build every major Node web app in a few years it is not certain that the js-devs or the users are going to use them. But we can hope and enjoy them ourselves :D

I'll push what I have to a wip-branch latter today. The reason why I develop
out-of-tree is because I can always rebase my patches.

That would be nice. I did not see it yet in the list http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/refs/heads

BTW: Did you see that Jelle did two commits after your fork?
https://github.com/jellelicht/guix/commits/wip-node-build-system

--
Cheers
Swedebugia