guix-devel

Re: NPM importer

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: NPM importer
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 22:12:18 +0100

Hi

On 2018-11-20 20:58, swedebugia wrote:
On 2018-11-20 08:50, Julien Lepiller wrote:

snip

See this script that builds a graph of dependencies, ignoring devDependencies (so none of the packages listed by this script is going to be tested): https://framagit.org/tyreunom/guix/snippets/2534

What is devDependencies? Required to build the npm package?

I understood the script now I think. :)

I replaced "mocha" with name in the call in the bottom.

Then did:
$guile
scheme@(guile-user)> (define name "ssb-patchwork")
scheme@(guile-user)> (load "npm-explorer.scm")

As you said it runs for(ever) (in my case 5 minutes) listing dependencies of dependencies of dependencies of dependencies of dependencies of dependencies ...

1100 last lines of the output is attached. :p

One thing is for sure. There are a LOT of npm packages. "Over 477,000 packages are available on the main npm registry." according to WP. :O

I wonder how many are free software? 90%? 50%?

I hope we can automate this some way.

npm.scm will be a VERY VERY long file. Maybe we should rethink about how to best store all these variables...

Just 1 npm application (ssb-patchwork) will add at least 1000 package definitions to it.

--
Cheers
Swedebugia