guix-devel

Re: Outreachy project infrastructure

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 11:37:56 -0300

Hi everyone! :)

I'm going back to all the previous emails, and the graph, and write down a summary in this thread, so that it does not end up messy, and we can discuss it here. Probably, I will be asking questions also about the graph, and also writing what we were thinking about the tools that would be used. Also asking if someone could suggest a tool that they know. I will do my research, of course, but it is new to me.

I don't like duplicating things, but Gabor's summary was - thank you for this, I am just quoting it so that we have it in this thread - :

Now that we have our intern announced I would like to bring this
thread back to life.

So regarding the Outreachy Project for Creating Video Documentation
for GNU Guix,
we come to a point where we should set up the priorities:
1. What types of videos should be created first:
a. introducing concepts,
b. practical howtos.
2. What audience to target:
a. people not yet interested in guix
b. people new to guix
c. users
d. developers.
3. What topics to cover first.

What we have so far:

Based on Julien's suggestions:
* Focus on more practical howtos aimed at people new to guix.
** installing guix on a foreign distro
** installing guixsd
** using guix: installing, upgrading and removing packages
** guix pull
** MAYBE guix gc
* Developers (not guix, but general devs)
** environments vs profiles
** developing on guixsd
** "getting back to work" when something goes wrong
** roll-back profile, system-profile, guix

Additional questions based on Laura's suggestions:
* Should we aim some videos at contributors?
* Should we create videos related to getting help or troubleshooting?

Regards!
Laura