gutopia-dev

[rgui-dev] API Time

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: [rgui-dev] API Time
Date: 22 Aug 2002 15:46:34 -0600

Okay all, now it's time to get down and dirty and figure out the GUtopIa
API. That is to say: How does the programmer work with GUtopIa?

There seems to me to be two approaches we can take: 1) The traditional
API approach, like that presented in the preliminary sample on the
GUtopIa wiki. -or- 2) The markup approach, al la glade.

I think we all have a fair notion of what the traditional approach
entails. and i tend to lean toward it, but recently i'v had another
notion, that may make markup much more attractive: Dynamic Markup.

Typically once markup is created it stays static, and is used as such.
Of course this has started to change with things like DOM. but DOM's
create a-whole-nother layer of API on top of the markup language already
used, and additionally if you've ever used DOM you know just how poor of
an API it is. it is ungodly cumbersome to generate markup with a DOM
only! improved solutions to such problems have trickled in, like REXML,
which represents a much improved API for the manipulation of XML.

But I have the notion to actually use markup to manipulate markup, hence
Dynamic Markup. With regards to GUtopIa, the GUI markup could change and
automatically be reflected on the screen. i haven't fully flushed this
out yet. any ideas?

additional thoughts?

~transami

--