gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Re: GUItopia mixin names

From: Harry Ohlsen
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Re: GUItopia mixin names
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:15:30 +1000

> just FYI, if i am not mistaken the automaigcal system we have
> implemented is a rendition of the Oberserver Pattern with Combination
> Methods. if we had only one mixin i'd probably just call it AutoObserver
> or AutoObservable, but since we have two the names need to be more
> specific.

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

Is there any reason you couldn't have a module with two sub-modules?  Then,
you could call the two mixins something like AutoObservable::Variables and
AutoObservable::Methods.  The main module wouldn't necessarily contain
anythong other than the Variables and Methods modules; it would just be
providing a namespace.  That would nice for a couple of reasons: you'd only
have to 'require' one module, and if you come up with other related, but
orthogonal mixins, you could just add more sub-modules.

I'm not sure whether the "Auto" adds anything to the meaning, by the way. The
automatic-ness (to coin a word) could just be considered an attribute of how
the mixin works, in practice.

> intersted in hearing what you come up with!

I'm still thinking, but it's really hard to come up something that encompasses
precisely what the mixins are doing.  However, I feel like the "Observable"
(or "Observer") is probably pretty close, anyway.

Cheers,

Harry O.