gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Camelot

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Camelot
Date: 30 Aug 2002 18:24:02 -0600

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 10:52, Kero van Gelder wrote:
> Even more so: if Ruby/wx works out fine, Ruby-Wise might not even be
> necessary :)  Otoh, a toolkit that has a small interface downwards to
> the graphics engine and event mechanism is useful, too.

kero,

leon and i have talked a bit about this chameleon idea --a gui that
imitates the native enviornment without actually using the native
toolkit. he's looking into the capabilities of paragui to be able to so
this. paragui is themeable, but leon doubts it is themeable enough.

so in that case we come empty for any sort of suitable toolkit. except
for one: ruby-wise. please correct me, kero, if i am mistaken. ruby-wise
is a gui toolkit built in 100% ruby, which calls on a primitive graphics
library. right now that library is xlib, but techincally ruby-wise could
be made plugable and use any gl. including sdl. is that a fair
assesment?

i think leon may have a point, telling me to give ruby-wise some deep
consideration. at the api-level of the GUtopIa project, ruby-wise would
give us the most flexability to create what we would require is a gui
tk. and, happy day for us, it's written in ruby! :)

~tom