gwhere-discussion

Re: [GWhere-discussion] character set

From: Zero - GWhere
Subject: Re: [GWhere-discussion] character set
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:51:34 +0200

Hi Thomas and everybody,

> > We are working on this problem with Luis. I'm not a expert about string
> > encoding but I believe that UTF-8 or UTF-16 could solve our problem. If
> > someone on the mailing have the solution, we'll be happy!! :-)
>
> I recommend rather put option "charset" inside catalog, so I might choose my
> iso-8859-2 to be used. Default might be utf8 of course.
If I well understand you would like the choose the used string encoding
to build your catalogs??

> To slowness - because I think about big catalogs (200CDs and more -
> university internet connection explains everything), I think, that gwhere can
> use some binary file as one of its file formats (so I can change it in
> preferencies), that will be optimized for big files. Another option is to use
> some database (i prefer mysql) as its backend, so speed of all operations
> will be very fast (as this database is speed optimized). This has another
> advantage, that I can store it on server and access my files from any
> computer on the Net.
I'm working since more one years. I'm defining a new catalog file format
with binary format and optimized for too big catalogs. The connection
with some database as MySQL or others is planned. And it will coming
soon after GWhere 0.2.0...

Yours,
Zero
Maintainer,

GWhere - Another way to manage your catalogs!!
http://www.gwhere.org