gwhere-discussion

Re: [GWhere-discussion] character set

From: Jarkor
Subject: Re: [GWhere-discussion] character set
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:36:54 -0000

Hi everybody out there,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zero - GWhere" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 2:05 PM

> Hi Jarkor and all,

> > > At time, the charset used for scanning or saving catalog is the same
> > > that one of your system.
> > > We are working on this problem with Luis. I'm not a expert about
string
> > > encoding but I believe that UTF-8 or UTF-16 could solve our problem.
If
> > > someone on the mailing have the solution, we'll be happy!! :-)
> > >
> > I'll be very happy too if anyone knows something about this........
> :-)

> > scanning
> > > I did't know this bug. I will check it.
> > >
> > Ok.....I posted this because they are not even there with chars changed,
the
> > scanned files/dirs with that chars are not present........
> I tested this trouble but I'm unable to replay it. What is your MS
> Windows version and your language settings please?? Morever can you give
> a sample of the folder full path name which you can't scan please??
I'm using M$ Windowz 2000 Professional, with SP4, English language.
(With input locales English US (I think don't care about this))
For example:

I:\MUSICA.GRP\RAMONES\In?ditos en Vivo
I:\MUSICA.GRP\Peligrosos Gorriones\Cacer?a de Caballos.mp3

I include as attachment, a file generated with "dir /s" scanning the CD and
redirecting
the output to a text file. I take out some parts to make the file smaller.
If you see the txt file with eg. Windows Commander/Total Commander,
(similar to the old Norton Commander) with F3, then you can choose
to see the contents of any file in ASCII or ANSI charset for example, and
also text/binary/hex/unicode/html/UTF-8.
I see the files displayed correctly using Text mode and ANSI charset.
If I set the mode to UTF-8 I see empty spaces instead of the acentuated
letter.

Hope this helps a little bit.

> > > True, in France we have the same problem. And I think that lot of
users
> > > should have this problem. I will working on because it is a critical
> > > problem. :-(
> > >
> > Yes, maybe a lot of users will have problems with this........
> I think it is common trouble with the C library. I'm looking for...

> > > It is sure!!

> > > This problem occures under win32 version. I'm searching a solution,
your
> > > reported bug was added in the BUGS list.
> > >
> > Well, another reason to know that m$ sucks........Anyway sometimes we
need
> > to work under win32 because of the propietary windoz-only software.
> > Seems I'll scan all my CD's under linux :-)
> The used system call always returns the size of the last session for
> CD-ROM. I checked it and even in MS Explorer there is the same trouble.
> :-/
That's right.
I'll scan some CDs under linux to see what happens, and also to check what
happens
with the strange characters.

> > > Do not worry you, I'm not better than you...
> > >
> > The idea is that we can understand ourselves...
> > :-)
> You're right.

:-)

> > > Thanks very much for your great analyse and the bugs report,
> > > I keep you informed about all points above.
> > >
> > Thanks a lot to give us this excelent program, and go ahead with
> > the development....I'll help as much as I can.
> Thanks you and thanks all for your help and your support!!

Your welcome.

Yours,
Jarkor