gwhere-discussion

Re: [GWhere-discussion] character set

From: Zero - GWhere
Subject: Re: [GWhere-discussion] character set
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:05:50 +0200

Hi Jarkor and all,

> > > I want to know how the charset are used when scanning CDs,
> > > and how will them handled in the future.
> > > I think that ASCII charset is used (used in DOS for example)
> > > but when I scan CD's containing ANSI charset (used in window$)
> > > some characters are converted to ASCII....and others not.
> > > For example, words containing the char "á" ar converted to "ß" .
> > > (letter a accentuated converted to greek letter "beta")
> > > Other letters are also converted.
> > At time, the charset used for scanning or saving catalog is the same
> > that one of your system.
> > We are working on this problem with Luis. I'm not a expert about string
> > encoding but I believe that UTF-8 or UTF-16 could solve our problem. If
> > someone on the mailing have the solution, we'll be happy!! :-)
> >
> I'll be very happy too if anyone knows something about this........
:-)

> > > Now I'm looking at the originals, and Directories and files
> > > containing the folowing chars: "é", "í", "ú" are not included when
> scanning
> > > the disc.
> > I did't know this bug. I will check it.
> >
> Ok.....I posted this because they are not even there with chars changed, the
> scanned files/dirs with that chars are not present........
I tested this trouble but I'm unable to replay it. What is your MS
Windows version and your language settings please?? Morever can you give
a sample of the folder full path name which you can't scan please??

> > > In the last years I try to not use this characters anymore, but
> > > sometimes they're already included in CD's I have (That's because
> > > I speak Spanish and in my country people use this chars a lot).
> > True, in France we have the same problem. And I think that lot of users
> > should have this problem. I will working on because it is a critical
> > problem. :-(
> >
> Yes, maybe a lot of users will have problems with this........
I think it is common trouble with the C library. I'm looking for...

> > > Maybe this can be a problem when someone scan a CD and then
> > > looks for a file inside that CD........gwhere wouldn't find it.
> > It is sure!!
> >

> > > Also I noted that when scanning a Multisession CD, the size information
> > > of the dics is obtained only from the last session recorded, then the
> > > size is not informed correctly, and with total size of scanned Cds
> > > the same happens.
> > This problem occures under win32 version. I'm searching a solution, your
> > reported bug was added in the BUGS list.
> >
> Well, another reason to know that m$ sucks........Anyway sometimes we need
> to work under win32 because of the propietary windoz-only software.
> Seems I'll scan all my CD's under linux :-)
The used system call always returns the size of the last session for
CD-ROM. I checked it and even in MS Explorer there is the same trouble.
:-/

> > > Sorry for my English....I speak Spanish.
> > Do not worry you, I'm not better than you...
> >
> The idea is that we can understand ourselves...
> :-)
You're right.

> > Thanks very much for your great analyse and the bugs report,
> > I keep you informed about all points above.
> >
> Thanks a lot to give us this excelent program, and go ahead with
> the development....I'll help as much as I can.
Thanks you and thanks all for your help and your support!!

Regards,
Zero
Maintainer,

GWhere - Another way to manage your catalogs!!
http://www.gwhere.org