gzz-dev

[Gzz] Re: 5th

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Gzz] Re: 5th
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:52:27 +0300

> A critique, as requested, of the gzz architechture document:

Thank you

> Generally: It's a good overview and starting point for browsing the
> javadoc, so why is it a separate document altogether, and not in the
> javadoc, "near the index"?

Well, doc/ is still evolving, and we might do that at some point.
The thing is, we want to keep this document editable directly in HTML
with mozilla so that it's as easy to fix as possible. A link in the
javadoc index would be a good idea, and also my idea is that
all javadoc pages onto which there are links from the architecture
document, automatically also get the diagram in which the link
is and a link back to the right place in the arch.doc. No time to
do that yet, though.

> Someone looking at it for the first time might confuse "frontend" and
> "backend" with "client" and "server" (even though gzz.mediaserver has its
> own block), maybe they could be explained in a few more words?

Good point. Will try.

> The biggest question mark is gzz.control, obiviously because it's still
> mostly missing...

Actually,

        make runpy

already uses the gzz.control package (which has the one jython script that
starts things up).

> Why can't gzz.client be "the green center"? =)

It used to be there, but it was better to separate that since it's nicer
to be able to just take the actual physical space for granted in the client
classes. The gzz.client package contains classes that present the user interface
to the structure.

> Besides that, uhmm.. Where does the image cache go?

Now that's a good question. Probably we should explicitly separate the
functinoality
of loading and resizing images and the logic of loading some particular block
and retaining
certain resolutions of it. Probably the former should be in gzz.gfx.gl (or some
library it uses()
and the latter should be in gzz.client.gl or gzz.client.

        Tuomas