gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] RE: [ba-ohs-talk] Fenfire, RDF (re "Towards a Standard Graph-

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] RE: [ba-ohs-talk] Fenfire, RDF (re "Towards a Standard Graph-Based...")
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:30:59 +0100

Alatalo Toni wrote:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Danny Ayers wrote:

B-A

What does this offer that
A-B
doesn't? When might it be useful in practice?

if y and x axis are (sematically) different.

you could reconstruct it in rdf by saying:
A y B
B x A

|-x

B---A

where A is the same node in differenct places on one canvas. (m.o.t.?)

Hi Danny, Toni--

I think you're talking about different things. Danny is talking about users placing nodes explicitly on the screen, arranging them into spatial structures (as in Ideagraph). Toni is talking about automatic views as in Fenfire Loom (or Gzz/GZigZag), where the program automatically arranges nodes on the screen to convey the underlying RDF structure (or zzstructure).

Indeed, in our Loom views, we regularly show the same node multiple times: say that "noteA seeAlso noteB" and "noteB isReasonFor noteA" for example; then, when we focus noteA, noteB is related to it in two ways, and we show it twice because of that. (Sorry, I don't have a screenshot program ready :-/ )

After reflection, I do think that placing the same node at two different locations can make sense, though. In Spatial Hypertext, the arrangement of nodes is used to convey structure as we would on e.g. a conventional blackboard or scratchpad etc.

Let's say a user is making groups of people by placing person nodes together in different locations of the screen (spatial canvas). What if a person is in more than one group?

(Maybe these kinds of spatial structuring isn't what you're after in Ideagraph; but on the other hand, why allow the user to hand-structure the arrangement of the graph if not to have them make use of that spatial arrangement? In any case, it would be nice if the same vocabulary could be used by other tools that let users arrange things spatially...)

- Benja