gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] PEG ``vob_colorable--humppake``: Abstract Colorable Vob

From: Asko Soukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] PEG ``vob_colorable--humppake``: Abstract Colorable Vob
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:20:59 +0200 (EET)

Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > > Now that it's immutable, I'm actually leaning slightly towards Color[]
> > > colors...
> The reason is performance: arrays perform much better than lists, especially
> in kaffe where garbage collection is relatively inefficient.

Well, using Color[] implies additional parameter to provide the amount of
colors in that array.

     class Colorable "interface"
        methods
            +Colorable cloneColored(Color[] colors, int ncolors)
            +Color[] getColors()

Or additionally reading Color[] stops at the first null (is an
array always formatted with nulls in Java?).

Should we now add to AbstractColorableVob a static help function to help
handling Color[]?

    int addColor(Color[] colors, int ncolors, Color color)
    // if colors is null, creates a new array, if colors.size > ncolors,
    // creates a new bigger array, otherwise places color to
    // colors[ncolors] and adds one to ncolors. Returns ncolors.

Uh, that seems complex. And also the naming of those color
attrivutes is confusing :/

--
Asko Soukka <address@hidden>
<http://www.iki.fi/asko.soukka/>