gzz-dev

Re: [gzz] Abstract Colorable Vob

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [gzz] Abstract Colorable Vob
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:49:00 +0100

Asko Soukka wrote:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
So, I don't see how this would change the situation. Still Colorable should be a new interface. Abstract ColorableVob would extend AbstractVob (that implents Vob) and implement Colorable. Again Colorable.cloneColored() could return only Colorable types and casting would be needed.

Or is it possible in Java that:
- AbstractVob implements Vob interface
- ClorableVob extends Vob interface
- AbstractColorableVob extends AbstractVob, implements ColorableVob interface?

Just so.

But toArray() is an ugly construct and the user is not able to avoid *that*. You could have both cloneColored(Color[]) and cloneColored(List) (and potentially also, cloneColored(Color) which would seem like the most practical interface of the three).

Hmm, good. cloneColored(List) could well be implemented as a shorthand for
cloneColored(Color[]). But the last one has problems:

Is cloneColored supposed to remove the colors which are already there?!?
I find that counter-intuitive.
Currently, yes. Without this, it wouldn't be possilbe to drop off colors from vob primitive. Again, cloneColored(Color) could be a shorthand for
getColors()+addcolor+cloneColored().

Can you give a use case for this? Intuitively, only adding color seems necessary.

Should we have List getColorsList() in addition of Color[] getColors()?

I don't think that's necessary-- if we find we need it, we can still add it. Arrays.asList(getColors()) is still reasonably simple to write.

Well, what is the relation of bgColor and solid colors? Currently RDFNodeView could have a following code. The problem is that I have to defined bgColor twice. At first as a background color, and then as solid color. Well, I don't know is this what we want. Tuukka said that bgColor and selection color should be shown at the same time.

Think of Gzz cell views: the background is white, the cursor blue and the clone marker yellow.

Do you really want to show the white background as a solid along with the cursor and the clone marker? If so, why? It doesn't signify anything, in contrast to the cursor & clone marker, it's just the default background.

We've never shown it as a solid color before, and I think that's right.

-b.