gzz-dev

[Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] storm/doc/pegboard/attacking_gisp--hemppah peg.r

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Gzz] Re: [Gzz-commits] storm/doc/pegboard/attacking_gisp--hemppah peg.rst
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:28:37 +0300

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 04:06:32PM +0300, Hermanni Hyytiälä wrote:

> > > Since GISP uses Chord-like routing table --> it is expected that the
> > > destination can be found eventually using finger tables (i.e. "backup
> > > links").
> >
> > Then, explain it in the PEG and give the estimates of the time.
>
> Should I include both the "big Os" and the number from the figures from
> the Chord paper ?

Yes, *with* a reference.

> > > Ok, I change it so that the number of normal peers and "dumb" peers can
> > > increase/decrease.
> >
> > No, you need to actually give the settings you plan to test.
> > And the scaling you expect.
>
> E.g.,
>
> Setting 1: 90 normal peers, 10 "dumb" peers
> Setting 2: 900 normal peers, 100 "dumb" peers
> Setting 3: 9000 normal peers, 1000 "dumb" peers
>
> Like this ?

For example. Or just 9*10^n, 1*10^n for n = 1..3

And you also need to check different fractions.

> > > Is 5000 items enough ?
> >
> > That's up to you to calculate ;)
>
> In the original Chord paper, the authors use 100*N keys, if N is the
> number of all peers. Perhaps I will use this setting.

Sounds fairly reasonable; using too many is better than too few.

> > > What about 2500 queries ?
> >

> Again, Chord paper cites, "Each peer in an experiment picked a random
> set of keys to query from the system, and we measured the path length
> required to resolve each query."
>
> So, I'll use the same method...

Once or several times?

What is it that we want to measure? Among other things, whether gisp
is able to adapt itself...

> > > For example, If a GISP peer is able determine that an another peer is
> > > not "useful" because it doesn't  reply/forward queries.
> >
> > Is it able to do that?
>

> Somewhat "yes", according to the GISP paper ("..a peer can discard
> information of
> unreachable peers"). However, I will look for the source how it's
> implemented; is it able to recognize if a peer is alive "dumb" (answers
> to PING) or not.

Indeed. This is pretty vital.

        Tuomas