h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] new version of h-source uploaded to h-node.org

From: Antonio Gallo
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] new version of h-source uploaded to h-node.org
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 23:31:11 +0100 (BST)

> > f hardware
> >>
> >> I see no difference between motherboards and
> laptops
> >> here.  How will
> >> motherboards be identified?  I believe lindi
> discussed
> >> it for laptops
> >> (which are most difficult devices to report and
> aren't
> >> supported in
> >> h-client).
> >>

> > When we discussed about motherboards inside this list,
> we have
> > concluded that the easiest way would be to simply add a
> subtype (for
> > motherboars) inside the notebooks category. We had also
> concluded to
> > add new fields for integrated devices such as ethernet,
> soundcard and
> > so on (the same as we have done for integrated video
> card, wifi,...).
> > Those fields could be ok for notebooks as well as for
> motherboards.
> > We had also decided to add a new field to ask if the
> motherboard requires
> > proprietary CPU microcode/firmware for support.
> >
> > I think we could go on following this way. What do you
> think?
> >

> Will users be able to look up specific laptop models this
> way though? I
> think it is important to list individual components but also
> specific
> laptop models.

Do you mean if the users will be able to distinguish between notebooks and
motherboard when they are listed together inside the same page? It could indeed
create a bit of confusion.. I think that if a user has to buy a notebook, it
wouldn't like to find notebooks mixed to motherboards or, vice versa, if it
wants to buy a board, find the motherboards mixed to notebooks.

From this point of view separating notebooks from motherboards should be
better. Either solutions are easy to implement, but perhaps the latter
(separate boards and notebooks) should be more clear from the user side.