h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] new version of h-source uploaded to h-node.org

From: Antonio Gallo
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] new version of h-source uploaded to h-node.org
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 07:55:39 +0100 (BST)

--- Dom 21/10/12, Michał Masłowski <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Da: Michał Masłowski <address@hidden>
> Oggetto: Re: [H-source-users] new version of h-source uploaded to h-node.org
> A: address@hidden
> Data: Domenica 21 ottobre 2012, 08:11
> >> Will users be able to look
> up specific laptop models this
> >> way though? I
> >> think it is important to list individual components
> but also
> >> specific
> >> laptop models.
> >>

> > Do you mean if the users will be able to distinguish
> between notebooks
> > and motherboard when they are listed together inside
> the same page? It
> > could indeed create a bit of confusion.. I think that
> if a user has to
> > buy a notebook, it wouldn't like to find notebooks
> mixed to
> > motherboards or, vice versa, if it wants to buy a
> board, find the
> > motherboards mixed to notebooks.
>
> Filtering by subtype can solve this, unless the user wants
> "a notebook
> or netbook but not motherboard" (tablets would already
> introduce this
> issue).  This can be solved by filtering to devices
> having one of
> several chosen subtypes (it would need UI changes).
>
> > From this point of view separating notebooks from
> motherboards should
> > be better. Either solutions are easy to implement, but
> perhaps the
> > latter (separate boards and notebooks) should be more
> clear from the
> > user side.
>
> I don't know how users would search for motherboards, this
> might make
> one solution more preferable.
>
> There are ARM devices usable both as complete computers and
> parts (while
> Rhombus Tech CPU cards will be also user-replaceable), a
> more specific
> categorization might be needed (e.g. "PC
> motherboards"/"other"/"notebook"/"netbook"/"tablet").
> This is not a
> problem yet with no free distro supporting ARM.

Sorry for the delay in the response.. I think that keeping notebooks separate
from motherboards would allow, in the future, more flexibility, since we could
add new fields to motherboards (if required) that perhaps are not required to
notebooks (and vice versa). We could start with a form similar to the one used
for notebooks and see if users ask for new entries (perhaps who is looking for
motherboard wants to know more technical data than who is searching for
notebooks).

From my point of view (PHP) the work is almost the same.