h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Advice on listing a ZTE MF730M 3G dongle

From: Andrew Lindley
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Advice on listing a ZTE MF730M 3G dongle
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 23:04:26 +0100 (BST)

From: address@hidden (Michał Masłowski)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 15:55:47 +0200

>> Thanks, a case of 'changed since I last read it.'  (You could almost
>> drive a Raspberry Pi through it now. But which is the 'auxillary
>> processor' there :-) ).
>
> I personally understand it in this way: devices that are RYF-endorsed
> are ok, I'm not able to decide if a different device complies with the
> criteria (ARM bootrom, firmware in flash chips which aren't processors,
> etc).  It helps that I'm not their target audience: I don't sell
> computers.

Fair enough.  I have somewhat dated relevant experience, adequate to a
first approximation of RYF but not to second guess FSF, which I
wouldn't presume to do.

Enough for that bit of OT humour though. Here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/open-source-arm-userspace/

Liz (RPi Foundation staffer) on 24th Oct 2012 at 1:19 pm said

> The GPU is an “auxiliary processors or low-level processor” under
> this categorization. We have been talking to the FSF all the way
> through this process, and we do not currently meet the FSF’s
> endorsement criterion:
> We are investigating the possibility of producing a derived product,
> under a different brand (this would be necessary to satisfy the
> FSF), which will meet this criterion by storing a single GPU
> binary in an on-board serial ROM.

But somehow nearly two years later it hasn't happened...

>>> Consider them "computers" (for our poorly named "notebooks, netbooks,
>>> tablet PC" category?), not 3G cards?
>>
>> I prefer the simplicity of your earlier suggestion - 'if it works with
>> GNU FSDG distros or Debian main only', it's scalable to the Internet
>> of Things which also have a USB port.  Otherwise you get into all
>> sorts of wrangles.  E.g. this dongle is described as 'advanced' so all
>> that's really different between it and an Android is size, power, voice
>> calls, a physical screen and apps.  The problem will shortly get much
>> worse if we do otherwise.
>
> People normally use phones when they are not connected to computers and
> install software on them (no phone is too locked to prevent installation
> of paid nonfree software from its vendor's app store).  3G dongles are
> useful only when connected to computers.  The issue is: does "it works
> with GNU FSDG distros" imply that the distro is running on that device?

Distinguishing by putative intended use, while relevant to h-node's
purpose, is not natural to someone like myself with past embedded
experience.  The dongle plainly has a SoC so I think of it as a
potential 'Maker' system with any variety of uses.

To answer your question: I meant 'it works with' in the sense of
'interoperates with.'  I was only summarising your apparent view, not
inserting my own.

Leny