h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Additional properties of particles

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Additional properties of particles
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 18:20:54 +0100

Pierre de Buyl writes:

 > As far as molecular data is concerned, this superficial approach to storing
 > the
 > charges is just fine, no? At the molecular level, this is all that I would
 > expect. While it is true that it is less unambiguous (note the double
 > negative)
 > than the position, for instance, it remains a common quantity that one wants
 > store. It can be fixed in time (most FF) or even change (ReaxFF, for
 > instance).
 >
 > The interpretation remains to the final user exactly as for "species" and
 > "charge" sould be included in my opinion.

My point is that the interpretation depends on where these charges
come from, so that information must be storable. That's why I don't like
the idea of just having a property called "charge", without any provenance
information. I am not saying that such provenance information should be
compulsory, but if it exists there should be a clear way to store it.

 > Is the definition of force fields part of MOSAIC yet?

Not yet, this is quite hard to do in a way that is both flexible and
useful with today's scientific software technology. I have a pretty
clear idea of how I will do it, but I don't believe it works until
I have a working implementation.

 > A "module" or an attribute could be used to make the distinction
 > between charges and partial charges. Are there more subtleties
 > related to charges?

Nothing I can think of immediately. I'd say that all subtleties
can be handled with additional annotation.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Saint Aubin - BP 48
91192 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France