heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: perspectives or pronoun KIF model

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: perspectives or pronoun KIF model
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:25:06 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:44:30PM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> > Well, I peeked quickly at your KIF model.  I am bamboozled
> > by KIF and fear that despite my years of experience w/ CycL
> > am not intelligent enough to quickly intuit what it all means.
>
> Drat!  I was hoping that I had mostly bridged the language
> problem ...
>
> > For starters, can you explain this...
> >
> > (defconcept Individual-Intention (?i Intention)
> >   :documentation "like Jarrold's desirability")
> > (assert (and
> >          (Individual-Intention Purity)   ; indifferent
> >          (Individual-Intention Personal) ; happy
> >          (Individual-Intention Suffer))) ; sad
> >
> > ...Is Purity a kind of Individual-Intention
>
> Yes.
>
> > and what does (?i Intention) mean?...What is being asserted?
>
> (assert (forall ?x
>   (=> (Individual-Intention ?x)
>       (Intention ?x))))

Really?  The power loom statement ...

(?i Intention)

...is equivalent to the power loom statement...

(assert (forall ?x
   (=> (Individual-Intention ?x)
   (Intention ?x))))

...?

If, what is (? Foobar) equivalent too?

I fear that to really grok your power loom file I am
going to have to grok a large book that explains powerloom
syntax.

> But try to get the big picture:
>
> 1. I am proposing a bidirectional mapping between
> Individual-Intention and Situational-Intention.
>
> 2. Recall that Individual-Intention is just another terminology
> for goal status (goal, no goal, or anti-goal).
>
> 3. A pair of "goal status" (two people) restrict the type
> of situations which can arise.  These general situation
> categories are the Situational-Intentions.

This, #3, seems particularly hard to understand.

> 4. The rest of the KR model is just elaborating the details
> of this mapping between Situational-Intention and a pair of
> Individual-Intentions.
>
> 5. In practice, the Situational-Intention typically constrains
> the verb.  For example, "person1 accepts <something> from person2".
> "Accepts" is the Situational-Intention for this example.  In other
> words, the verb is (to some extent) a function of the participants'
> goal status.
>
> Does that help or just confuse you more?

It might help a little.  Maybe include the above explanotary text in
the powerloom file.

Sorry, v general, incredibly ignorant meta question: Does power loom work?
I mean can you test your model and make sure it generates the desired
inferences?

Thanks,

Bill