heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: DSM biographical info

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: DSM biographical info
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:29:44 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> Before accepting ratings, we need to ask OHL participants if
> they have any clinical problems such as autism.  How to
> phrase this question?

Here's my gut:  If the person is appropriatly informed
of that fact that this info may be public then informed consent
has been given.  That's the general rule.  We need to understand
the general rule.  Also I should ask my diss advisor about it before
we go "live".  So, if we get significant numbers of hits, e.g. 10 per day
or more, then we should either get at least a go ahead from Diane
or I ask that you take it down.  I have added

** BEFORE GOING LIVE: ask Diane about ethical use of data at website.
   E.g. ask for diagnosis.  See e.g. "Subject : Re: DSM biographical
   info" around 2003-12-31 or 2004-01-11.

to my ohl-to-do list.

But, best to get a more grounded opinion for general issues.  I need to
read this someday, in my copious free time (-:.  I think it would help
alot if you could read it and maybe browse around there.  I read it in one
minute and it seems pretty open ended and non-specific but it references
many other ethical codes, with which I should be familiar if I wish
to get a license.

http://www.apa.org/ethics/stmnt01.html

to check out...

http://www.apa.org

...,dare i say it, "drill down" along anything having to do with ethics.

Sorry, to your specific querstion....

The wording is good enough for gov't work but why not be a little more
friendly...how about...

If you have any clinical problems described in the Diagnostic and
Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) then we invite you to
check the corresponding boxes on this page.

NOTE: It is not in any necessary to include such information which
many would rightly consider sensitive.  Nonetheless, we appreciate it
because it enriches our data.  But please, for your sake and yours, do
not include any identifying info.  Thanks.

If some of your diagnosis is not listed then fill in the
appropriate data here: [         ].

+++

Sounds OK?

Bill