heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: DSM biographical info

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: DSM biographical info
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:14:52 +0530

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:29:44PM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > Before accepting ratings, we need to ask OHL participants if
> > they have any clinical problems such as autism.  How to
> > phrase this question?
>
> Here's my gut:  If the person is appropriatly informed
> of that fact that this info may be public then informed consent
> has been given.  That's the general rule.  We need to understand
> the general rule.  Also I should ask my diss advisor about it before
> we go "live".  So, if we get significant numbers of hits, e.g. 10 per day
> or more, then we should either get at least a go ahead from Diane
> or I ask that you take it down.  I have added
>
> ** BEFORE GOING LIVE: ask Diane about ethical use of data at website.
>    E.g. ask for diagnosis.  See e.g. "Subject : Re: DSM biographical
>    info" around 2003-12-31 or 2004-01-11.
>
> to my ohl-to-do list.

Yah but we aren't going to reveal identities, are we?  I mean, I've
been assuming that the email address of participants will not be
available in the public dataset.  Or are you thinking that simply
collecting the information over a non-secure channel is enough to
warrent concern?

> But, best to get a more grounded opinion for general issues.  I need to
> read this someday, in my copious free time (-:.  I think it would help
> alot if you could read it and maybe browse around there.  I read it in one
> minute and it seems pretty open ended and non-specific but it references
> many other ethical codes, with which I should be familiar if I wish
> to get a license.
>
> http://www.apa.org/ethics/stmnt01.html
>
> to check out...
>
> http://www.apa.org
>
> ...,dare i say it, "drill down" along anything having to do with ethics.

Wow, I didn't know the book was freely available:

  http://www.apa.org/ethics/code2002.html

I'll definitely read through it as time permits.

> Sorry, to your specific querstion....
>
> The wording is good enough for gov't work but why not be a little more
> friendly...how about...
>
> If you have any clinical problems described in the Diagnostic and
> Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) then we invite you to
> check the corresponding boxes on this page.
>
> NOTE: It is not in any necessary to include such information which
> many would rightly consider sensitive.  Nonetheless, we appreciate it
> because it enriches our data.  But please, for your sake and yours, do
> not include any identifying info.  Thanks.
>
> If some of your diagnosis is not listed then fill in the
> appropriate data here: [         ].
>
> +++
>
> Sounds OK?

Yah.