heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: fine tuning

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: fine tuning
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:47:05 +0530

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:17:39PM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > 5. I enter my login & password and click the button.
>
> Question:  Am I being too paranoid to not endorse this...
>
> Remember Me -- Store your login information in a cookie on your machine
> for a year. Enable this option only if you are using your own computer.
>
> ...I don't trust netscape/mozilla security much more than M$.  Therefore
> I don't want to put passwords on cookies.  Is this reasoning sound or
> overly paranoid?

You are overly paranoid for two reasons:

1. The cookie doesn't store a password.  It stores a COOKIE-ID which
the server maps to your account.

2. Since we aren't using SSL or any other encryption techniques, the
whole thing is completely open to eavesdropping (as mentioned in
Informed Consent).  So any illusion of security is, in fact, an
illusion supported by the assumption of good faith and a sense of fair
play.

> > 6. Now I am asked about my diagnosis.  Hrm.  This is a funny question.
> > I don't even know what "Autism" _is_ so I guess I'll just click the
> > Continue link at the bottom.
>
> The disparity btwn [change] button vs the <continue> hotlink is a little
> confusing.  Any ideas on making them more the same?

Agreed.  It should be easy to fix, but I need to research it.  >>TODO

> > OK, I
> > read through the introduction and click on the Proceed link.
>
> Hrm, am I supposed to fill in the Scenario Examples 1 and 2?  (You
> might want to add fine print saying, "You don't *have* to answer
> this, it is just an example but feel free to practice if you want.").

Gosh, I just don't have time to make this trivial change now.  >>TODO

> Also, minor typo in Scenario Example 2...
>
> Feeling:} Sad.
>
> ...send the } to /dev/null.

Fixed.

> > 8. Here is the first "Rate Believability" screen.
> >
> > + + +
> >
> > OK, that's 8 clicks.  Is it too much?
>
> I dunno.  Sure, why not.  Let's ask friendly folks for their
> opnions.  I'll start asking some more folks.  I'll cc you or
> forward.  Nudge me if I am laggard.

Eek!

Please wait for me to fix the issues which you have identified above.

I have been asking friends to review my stuff for years and now my
friends just ignore me.  Friends' time is precious.  Let's give them
our best face.

> Hrm, I think it will take people lots of guts to push through on this
> survey.  Everyone is in instant gratification mode while online.  Maybe
> there are a few highly dedicated parents of children w/autism out there?

Well .. openmind got responses so why not us?  ;-)

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://openheartlogic.org