heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: cue (was Re: parameterizing)

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: cue (was Re: parameterizing)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:09:45 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:38:37PM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> > I think we are misunderstanding each other.
>
> Quite possible.
>
> > Clark Elliot uses the term emotion eliciting condition.
> >
> > I use the term cue or scenario cue as, one might say, a specific type of
> > emotion eliciting condition.  Or one might say, an experimentally
> > operationalizable or experimentally controllable emotion eliciting
> > condition.
>
> Oh!
>
> So "cue" is _your_ shorthand (& refinement) for "emotion eliciting
> condition".

Roughly yes.  But you might not be reading what I said closely
enough.  I said "cue or scenario cue" is a specific type of
emotion eliciting condition.....In other words there are other
types of emotion eliciting conditions....A cue is operationalized
as a focal goal and a situation involving the agent with the goal.
But what if there is no focal goal.  Or what if there are 100's
of salient goals.  These are clues to different types of EEC's which
do not fit the nice, experimentally tidy Scenario Cue....I suppose
that, strictly speaking, a scenario cue might fall flat and
not generate any emotion.  Thus, bad scenario cues would not
be EEC's because the don't elicit emotion!

> > Hey, look, Bill of the Past meets Bill of the Present...Here is
> > the entry in the glossary:
> >
> > \item{{\bf Scenario Cue:} A term created for the purposes of this
> > dissertation to refer to an emotion eliciting condition, a situation
> > which provokes an emotional response, or at least is a candidate for
> > provoking such a response.  All scenario cues have two parts, an
> > overriding goal (see also) and an outcome (see also).  I chose the
> > term ``scenario cue'' in order to emphasize that it is merely a cue
> > for an appraisal. Scenario cues can be refered to by item ids, e.g. a1
> > or d3.  But also identifiers such as a1b1 are used to identify
> > scenario cues.  Note that item a1 and item b1 share the same scenario
> > cue.  Thus, the convention I follow is that this scenario cue is
> > called a1b1.  In Study1 Phase 2 and Study 2 scenario cues could be
> > simple or complex.  In all other studies, scenario cues were always
> > simple.  See also item.}
>
> Just to double check: I can cite Clark Elliot for "emotion eliciting
> condition" in the glossary entry for "cue"?

I feel a little uncertain as to what you are asking, but am pretty sure.
So, I'll say this....You might change the a certain line in the
above blurb, i.e....

"dissertation to refer to an emotion eliciting condition, a situation"

...to....

"dissertation to refers to an emotion eliciting condition (see Eliot
(19XX), a situation"

....Another idea would be to have a hotlink on emotion eliciting condition
and then if you click on it then it takes you to a glossary entry for,
guess what!, "emotion eliciting condition"...this definition would explain
to everyone what it was and would also cite the most excellent Clark
Elliot.

Bill