heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] goal topic, etc (was: rumination prototype)

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] goal topic, etc (was: rumination prototype)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:36:13 +0530

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 02:17 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > I changed it to "Goal Topics".  Is that more suggestive?
>
> Probably yes.  Schank and Abelson refer to "Goal Themes."  Maybe that
> is what you mean?

That's a good question.

Can you spare me a copy of Schank and Abelson so I find out?  ;-)

> Maybe there should be a fixed set of goal topics for them to chose from?
> I dunno what research question you are asking.

I'm working on a description of the research question.  More later.

> > In the Jack & Jill story, the only goal topic is "a pale of water".
>
> why not "to fetch a pale of water."

I guess it could be "fetching a pale of water". I use sentence
templates:

  $agent wants something about $goal_topic.
  $agent is indifferent about $goal_topic.
  $agent wants to avoid something about $goal_topic.

But also see my explanation below ...

>   after, there are hundreds of
> thousands of pales of water in the world at any time instant.  This
> basic fact about the world does not make Jack and Jill happy.  For
> them, the goal state was that Jack and Jill were playing the agent
> role in a fetching of a pale of water event.

Uhm, more like:

> Or maybe the goal is
> that they possess a pale of water.  Fetching is a plan put in to
> action to achieve that goal.
>
> Goal topic is a very fuzzy notion.
>
> To argue the other side, why isn't the goal topic water, or a pale or
> a liquid or a container or an artifact or...I could go on.

The point of the goal-topic is to name a particular goal.  The exact
name doesn't matter so long as the referent goal is distinguished from
other possible goals.

If your dissertation KM model was more consistent than I could point at
a specific slot which corresponds to goal-topic.  As it is, I consider
all of these to be goal-topics:

the informationSource of Watching
the vehicle of RidingSomewhere
the objectObtained of GettingSomethingForSomeone
the objectConsumed of EatingOrDrinkingEvent

> > My goal type study is only concerned with "goal formation and
> > expression".  The kind of stuff in your dissertation falls under "goal
> > matching and evaluation."  The "introduction" category is just catch-all
> > for random suppositions.
>
> Well what is goal formation?  Is it how did Jack and Jill come to want to
> fetch a pale of water or what?

Good point. Maybe I'll just call it "goal expression".  The part of a
story where agents express goals. For example: James wants a pie. Judy
doesn't want a glass of water.

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
 (Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)