heartlogic-dev

Re: [Heartlogic-dev] getting closer - a few comments on UI

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: Re: [Heartlogic-dev] getting closer - a few comments on UI
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 19:55:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 02:00 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
Done.

Great thanks.  But

(a) the green rectangle with the stats is still there.

Oh, should be gone now.

I see the green rectangle onjj the Story stuff.  E.g.....

Story

Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pale of water
After reading this story, HAL thinks that:
In Jacks opinion, Jill wants something about a pale of water for herself. N = 3, M = 0.17, SD = 0.58

....maybe this is where you said the two presentation styels should be inconsistent for creativity?

 > >> (b) the text has two problems in it, viz....

You judged this statement as <b >moderately believable</b >. We have
collected 2 ratings so far (including yours).  The average believability
rating is 0.50 on a scale of -1.0 (highly unbelievable) to 1.0 (highly
believable)

        b1: it has a <b > moderately belieevel</b> html typo.

Good catch.  Fixed.

Verified. Awesome.

I think this should be the long version to be shown the first time.
Then after it should be....

# of ratings so far: 2
Average rating: 0.5 (-2 to 2)

Good idea.  I'll do that.

Great.  I don't see it that way yet.

....<whiney voice on> ya know i kinda like to see the standard
deviation.  People aren't THAT phobic of math science are they?

Hey, why not?  I think people are going to feel more interested and
involved if they are able to see the stats.

Josh said no.  I don't care so much.  Whatever.

If we continue to be divided, maybe we find enough ingorant (-: friends of ours and ask them.

  In
spite of that, I would midly prefer a range of 1 to 5 over -2 to 2.
Josh (or...ppst, Peter?, you there? (-:), can you break the tie here?
So this is how it should look...

# of ratings so far: 2
Average rating: 3 (1 to 5)
Standard Deviation: 1.3

...but like I said, Josh/Peter maybe you can decide this before I obsess
too much.

For what it's worth, I changed it to [-1,1] because that seems like the
most canonical range.

maybe to a scientist or technical person but not an average person.

josh opinions?

i'll dig up some ignorant friends.

WLJ also mentioned that we might try some other
kind of ratings besides Likert ratings so it makes sense, at least
internally, to store the ratings in normalized rating space.

you mean internally to store them as -2 to 2? perhaps. buut not show them to human participatns.

what kind of normalization are you talking about linear or gaussian?

bill

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
(Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)