heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Item Content And Experimental Conditions

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Item Content And Experimental Conditions
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 22:17:19 -0500

Hi Guys,

Everyone feel free to skim or ignore these rumintations.  But this is
obsessing about somethign else besides the bean counting I've obessing
about lately.

Joshua 3 questions, search for Q1 and Q2 and Q3 below.

I have made progress at this...

http://nirmalvihar.info/wiki/index.cgi?ItemContentAndExperimentalConditions

I just want to give you a heads up of where I am heading.

First, at my current (2005-05-19) level of understanding we have three
independent variables and thus three fields per item.

1) the type of statement.
2) the reversal condition.
3) the statement text.

As for 1) the type of statement it currently has these levels:

(a) JustifiedDeduction
(b) BareDeduction
(c) GroundFact
(d) IfThenRule

Joshua, note we might need to give the user interface patter
differently depending on thie variable.  Q3 Hope thhat doesn't make
life too difficult?

As for 2) the reversal condition, there are currently these levels:

(a) REV reversed
(b) UNREV unreversed

There are some sticky issues:

1) The distinction between ground assertion and rule is not always
   clear.  For example, "Spouses love each other." can be viewed as a
   rule "If x has spouse y then, x loves y."  Or, it can be viewed as
   a ground atomic formula.  Ah HA!  There is the rub, what we can do
   is cast it both ways.  We can quantiy how hard a hit we take when
   we cast something as a rule versus as a ground atomic formula.

2) How do we reverse a rule?  We could just apply not to the front of
   the rule and see what we get.  Or we could apply not to the
   consequuent.  Or we could apply not to one of the conjuncts.

Interesting.  Reversal can be used to tease out polysemy.  More on
this later.

Q1: Joshua, you told me how to denote the fields - use a carriage
return.  New records are denoted by a carrriage return on a blank
line, right?

(Of course the wiki page does not obey this format bc the wiki
editing/formating system converts my returns to a
space...whatever....a detail for me to fix later.)

Q2: Now, I want a comment field.  Seomtimes, I wanna make commments to
myself about a given item.  So, if we have 3 required fields for each
item.  How do I indicate that this fourth option field here and there
is a comment? (For now I hhave done this with a |).

Hrm, maybe I still beancounting?? (-:

Bill