Re: [Help-bash] trouble using &

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] trouble using &
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:41:56 -0600

Pierre Gaston wrote:
> frank ernest wrote:
> > Hi, I was trying to play a wav file using play and I can't seem to get it
> > to fork into the background while still playing. I've tried using coproc,
> > and & but nothing seems to work (ctrl-Z would stop the process,) here is a
> > real code snippet:
> >
> > play "All night long.wav" &> /dev/null &
>
> it tries to read from the terminal and thus stops when in the background,
> also redirect stdin:
> play "All night long.wav" &> /dev/null </dev/null &

Using -q will tell "play" not to print all of the verbose messaging to
the standard output.  If putting it into the background then better to
use the play -q option.

I would rather not see stderr discarded to /dev/null so that any
errors that occur will be seen.

This following works fine for me.

  play -q file.wav &

I can also switch to the Linux virtual console and it keeps playing.
I am not sure why it would stop.  Perhaps some interaction with
policykit, systemd-login0, or some such which might be actively trying
to prevent it?

Bob