Re: [Help-bash] trouble using &

From: frank ernest
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] trouble using &
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:49:16 +0200

Previously written:
> > frank ernest wrote:
> > > I know that changing ttys IE ctrl-alt-F* makes the audio stop
> > > (which makes sense because that if I'm playing a cool tune and
> > > you don't want to hear it you don't since your logged in on a
> > > different tty,) but I don't think & does that to the process.
>
> As I read this in the original post it says that the audio stops
> playing when switching from X to a Linux console.  Or the reverse.
> When they switch the audio stops playing.
>
> Pierre Gaston wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:

> > > Sorry but I don't know.  I have suspicions but not enough evidence to
> > > back up a guess.
> >
> > without -q it tries to read from the terminal which causes it to
> > stop....as said above .......
>
> Erm...  I think you have misunderstood what was being asked there.  Or
> perhaps I have.  The question being discussed at this point is why
> does the audio stop playing when using Contrl-Alt-F1 to switch to the
> Linux console?
>
> When I switch from X to the Linux console or from one console to
> another or from the Linux console back to X the audio keeps playing.
> But as I read the original poster it does not for them.  So the
> question at this point is why would switching to a Linux console stop
> audio from continuing to play from X or another VT?

Yes, you understood correctly, if I start play on a tty and swith to any other
tty, including one that's running X then the audio stops playing, the reverse
is also true.
As to why it does this and your lack of certainty of how to proceed, I think it
it's systemd; reason being that I tested it on opensuse 13.1 (a systemd system)
and it does not work, and now knoppix (I'm not sure what version, but not
systemed) and switching ttys has no effect on the play back.