Re: YYACT_EPILOGUE

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: YYACT_EPILOGUE
Date: 19 Apr 2002 17:05:33 +0200

Please, keep it public.

| > I like the idea, but I would like to delay this.  There are many
| > things to _finish_ in Bison before starting new ones.  If you want to
| > work on Bison, please tell me!  I can give you hints on what is
| > needed, and what is to be done to be allowed (by the FSF) to work on it.
| >

| Akim,
|
| understood. I'm willing to help with Bison. There are three constraints:

Great!

| (1) I'm not an expert in grammar theory, so working on the algorithms that
|     generate the parser tables is quite likely beyond my capabilities.

No problem, there are things to do in many areas.

| (2) I'm not a native speaker (German). I can write documentation but it
|     would have to be reviewed.

Same here (French).

| (3) I don't have an aweful lot of spare time on my hands.

Same here, although I spend too much time on Bison.

| So let's see what you have and maybe we can find a match.

Have a look at TODO for instance.  For instance, do you feel OK to
handle the popen issue?  You first need to download CVS Bison.  Here
is README-cvs.

| These notes intend to help people working on the CVS versions of
| Bison.  Only the sources are installed in the CVS repository (to ease
| the maintenance, merges etc.), therefore you will have to the
| maintainer tools we depend upon:
|
| - Automake 1.6 or 1.6.1
| - Autoconf 2.53 or better
|   (actually, CVS Autoconf provides a better autoreconf...
|    http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~akim/download/autoconf-2.53a.tar.gz)
| - Gettext 0.10.1
|
| Only building the initial full source tree will be a bit painful,
| later, a plain `cvs update -P & make' should be sufficient.
|
| * First CVS checkout
|
| Obviously, if you are reading these notes, you did manage to check out
| Bison from CVS.  For the records, you will find all the relevant
| information on:
|
|       http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group_id=56
|
| The next step is asking the installation of all the missing files:
|
|       $ ./bootstrap
|
| And there you are!  Just
|
|       $ ./configure && make && make check
|
| At this point, there should be no difference between your local copy,
| and the CVS master copy:
|
|       $ cvs diff
|
| should output no difference, except maybe the date in po/*.po files.
|
| Enjoy!

| The paperwork thing... I know about it. You would have to send it to
| me. And I take it from there.

There it is:

| BTW, is there a Bison home page somewhere (similar to the GCC home page?)
| If not, I would need instructions for how to access your CVS repository.

See below.  You'll have to create an account on savannah.gnu.org.