Bison 2.1 failes to generate C++ parser

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Bison 2.1 failes to generate C++ parser
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 12:01:53 +0000

Hello!

I was trying to create a C++ parser with Bison 2.1; according to the manual, I must use the "lalr1.cc" skeleton for this, and require %defines. But using the following simple grammar fails:

test.y:

%skeleton "lalr1.cc"
%defines

%%

abc: 'a'

%%

After executing
bison test.y
I do not get test.cc and test.hh as expected (after what is written in the manual); however, using an output-file-directive, this can be fixed. What is more critical is that I even can't compile the generated parser - and not because references to things like error or yylex are missing (they miss of course), but because the generated parser-class does not contain a yylex-member at all!

So I get the compile-time error, that yy::parser::parse() references the unknown function yylex! Although the manual says that yylex is a member of parser.

Many thanks in advance!
Yours,
Daniel Kraft