Re: Are Google summer of code 2006 ideas still available?

From: Evan Lavelle
Subject: Re: Are Google summer of code 2006 ideas still available?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:28:15 +0000

Akim Demaille wrote:

I suggest that you do not: Joel is already planning to work on this,
that would be duplicate work.  But see
http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas.html for other
suggestions.  If you are fluent in XML, the last one would be
particularly useful :)

nice to see

# One would like to be able to split the grammar in several
component. An "import" feature would be acclaimed by our users.

in the list; that would be my own top feature request. I think this is what Matt Cupp was asking for a few days ago. Antlr allows grammars to inherit from each other; this looks like a very nice feature, but I've never used it.

There's another idea for more language back-ends. Antlr has lots of back-ends, maintained by different people. However, the back-ends can be of low quality, and they're normally produced long after updates to the base code. I'm not saying that more language support is a bad idea, but I think you need to think carefully about how they're all going to be maintained.

Evan