Re: Are Google summer of code 2006 ideas still available?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Are Google summer of code 2006 ideas still available?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:47:58 +0200

On 30 Mar 2007, at 17:21, Akim Demaille wrote:

One idea I have, is to create a core language with the possibility to
translate into several languages. The point is that the parser needs
a rather limited set of language features. This is still, though, not
a very easy one.

ISTR that initially, in the 70s, there were many such projects.  Yacc
(which name highlights that there was competition at that time) took a
different approach: be tailored for it's target language.  And it won.

Don't ask me where I read this.  I did, that's all I remember.

I am not speaking about the LALR(1) part of Bison, but the part that writes the already computed part into a parser in a computer language, such as C, C++, Java, Scheme, Haskell, etc. It is not so difficult to do such a language, in effect, it is already in the pseudo-language description of the push-down automation that the parser uses.