Re: GSoC

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: GSoC
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:40:50 +0200

>>> "MK" == Max Katsev <address@hidden> writes:

 > Hello!
 > I'm interested in applying for GSoC for extending Bison to other languages.
 > But I'd like to ask some questions first:
 > 1. List of languages. I have strong knowledge of C/C++, Java, Pascal
 > and base knowledge of C#, python, perl.
 > I found Java skeleton is being implemented. Will this assignment
 > include cooperating with Java one's author to finish it (if needed) or
 > just leave java alone?
 > Concerning C#, python, perl: while I don't have very much experience
 > with these languages, it seems to me, that generated parser's code is
 > not very complex syntactically, so I'm almost sure that my knowledges
 > (and good docs ;)) will be enough.
 > Also, how many languages do you expect to be implemented?

Actually, I don't really know.  Of course we should focus on languages
for which there's a demand for a tool such as Bison (e.g., Caml does
not care, it has already everything it needs), and a community ready
to help to maintain it.

Java clearly comes first to my mind, but it's taken care of.

C# would come second.

But that's only my own view.

One thing is that the matrix of parser-type x target-language should
be too big too soon.  There are already many flavors of parser-types
to integrate (lalr|lr x pull|push x generalized|deterministic), and we
should first gain experience in how to factor them for a single
language (C) before scaling up to other languages.

 > 2. I think that not rare scenario is when somebody wants to create
 > grammar file to be converted to several languages, not one.

The test suite would benefit from this :)