Re: Are Google summer of code 2006 ideas still available?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Are Google summer of code 2006 ideas still available?
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:01:13 +0200

On 1 Apr 2007, at 06:49, Joel E. Denny wrote:

I am interested in implementing LR(1) grammar support, which was
proposed for the 2006 edition of Google Summer of Code. Is it posible
to request this project for this year?

I suggest that you do not: Joel is already planning to work on this,
that would be duplicate work.

It is only duplicate work, if they implement the same version of LR (1). What
version will he be implementing?

I haven't decided yet. Moreover, I think it would be better for Bison to have one LR(1) implementation and, say, XML output than to have two LR(1)
implementations.

If there is a choice. And which variation of LR(1) would you prefer, if there now is a difference: One that compacts the states and still has the same problem as LALR(1) that when an error token comes by, some actions can be performed before the error is being reported plus it cannot be used in interactive scanners to report possible token completions, or one that does not have those flaws, but takes up perhaps much more space?