Re: Localized precedence declarations

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Localized precedence declarations
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:45:38 +0200

Le 23 juin 09 à 20:18, Akim Demaille a écrit :

Le 21 juin 09 à 22:46, Michiel Helvensteijn a écrit :

It's now 6 years and a bit later. Has this problem been solved in Bison in the mean time? Because I can not even find a mention of this in the manual.

Not, it has not been solved, and that is still a todo. But there are currently many on-going changes in Bison, it is unlikely that we will find time to scope precedence/associativity declarations in the short term. Contributions are most welcome :)

I should have pointed out two changes that might help you:

- %no-default-prec disables the automatic assignment of a default precedence to rules. This is a nice feature, and I don't understand today what I had cold feet about it. The feature is available in shipped Bison, it is just not documented. See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bison-patches/2003-05/msg00014.html for instance.

We should reenable it. I.e., we should revert 91d2c560a84bd5ca4b43f235201b1a04348cd83d.

- there is a new %precedence directive that allows completes %right, %left and %nonassoc: it defines only a precedence level, and leaves undecided associativity matters. This is not released, it will be in Bison 2.6. See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bison-patches/2008-11/msg00125.html

A tarball of the master branch of bison is available in
http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~akim/download/