Re: Localized precedence declarations

From: Michiel Helvensteijn
Subject: Re: Localized precedence declarations
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:08:07 +0200

On Tuesday 23 June 2009, Akim Demaille wrote:

> I should have pointed out two changes that might help you:
>
> - %no-default-prec disables the automatic assignment of a default
> precedence to rules.  This is a nice feature, and I don't understand
> today what I had cold feet about it.  The feature is available in
> shipped Bison, it is just not documented.  See
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bison-patches/2003-05/msg00014.html for
> instance.

This would certainly be a partial solution to my problem. But it would make
the operator precedence table harder to read and maintain. And since it's
still not a complete solution, I don't think I'm going to use it for now.

> - there is a new %precedence directive that allows completes %right,
> %left and %nonassoc: it defines only a precedence level, and leaves
> undecided associativity matters.  This is not released, it will be in
> Bison 2.6.  See
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bison-patches/2008-11/msg00125.html

Kudos! It won't help with my current problem, but it's certainly a feature I
will use.

Bison 2.6 is gonna be great. I read that YYSTYPE will not be limited to
integral/pointer types. That would greatly reduce complexity in my grammar,
in which I now use C-pointers to Boost shared pointers. ;-)

--
Michiel Helvensteijn
address@hidden