Building under cygwin from git rep.

From: Efi Fogel
Subject: Building under cygwin from git rep.
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 23:09:04 +0300

Dear users,

Not sure whether this is the right place, but I couldn't find a better one.

I wanted to use a new feature that is in the pipe, namely using
boost::variant instead of union to specify the collection of possible data
types for semantic values.

I downloaded the sources from the savannah git repository. On Ubuntu, I was
able to build this bison version no problem. However, on cygwin, I got
stuck. 'bootstrap' completed without errors and so did 'configure'.
However, running 'make' ended up with errors. I got the following error
message right away:

 cd . && /bin/sh /cygdrive/d/home/efif/trees/bison/build-aux/missing --run
automake-1.12 --gnu Makefile
lib/local.mk:19: error: lib_libbison_a_SOURCES must be set with '=' before
using '+='
Makefile.am:60:   'lib/local.mk' included from here
lib/local.mk:19: warning: variable 'lib_libbison_a_SOURCES' is defined but
no program or
lib/local.mk:19: library has 'lib_libbison_a' as canonical name (possible
typo)
Makefile.am:60:   'lib/local.mk' included from here
Makefile:2478: recipe for target `Makefile.in' failed
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

I removed the '+' sign, and was able to make a small step forward. Then, I
got the following error message:

make: *** No rule to make target `fcntl.in.h', needed by `fcntl.h'.  Stop.

I edited the makefile file a bit and passed this one to encounter a similar
error message about another file that ends with .in.h. As a matter of fact,
I had to edit the file much more to generate several headers from the
corresponding .in.h files.

Finally, I got an error message that pointed at a missing libbison.a, which
seems related to the first error message above.

What do I need to do to build bison from the latest sources on sygwin
(using standard gnu tools)? Please, bare in mind that I'm not a developer
of bison, or any other gnu code, for that matter, just a user who is trying
to get ahead of the system...

BW, building this version on Ubuntu was smooth. However, using it revealed
few issues, but all this in a separate post. I'd like to fix my problem on
cygwin first.

Thanks in advance,
Efi

--