Re: Quick cfengine poll...

From: Elmar Kurgpold
Subject: Re: Quick cfengine poll...
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:43:53 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Andrew Mayhew wrote:

>      Overall general design of Cfengine followed an evolutionary
>       process that did not initially target large-scale enterprise
>       architectures. Any eventual support for large-scale enterprise
>       functionality was added over time without a fundamental redesign
>       of Cfengine.  In order to effectively guarantee use in a
>       distributed enterprise environment, it may very well be necessary
>       to make deep fundamental design and implementation changes to
>       Cfengine to address the technical and business requirements for
>       Provisioning 2.0.

This seems totally backwards to me.  If anything, it seems that cfengine
was developed *for* large-scale enterprises.  It is a very useful tool in
distributed environments.  The environment I work in is spread across
several locations worldwide, each with its own unique requirements.  I can
write one short script that can configure a host's router address,
netmask, etc., and it can be used anywhere and do the right thing with
minimal effort.

I'm curious what your requirements are that might necessitate making "deep
fundamental design and implementation changes to cfengine."

        ++Elmar