Re: Quick cfengine poll...

From: Mark . Burgess
Subject: Re: Quick cfengine poll...
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:43:59 +0200 (MET DST)

On 26 Mar, Mark Rowlands wrote:
> On Monday 26 March 2001 18:56, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:51:32 +0200, the world broke into rejoicing as
>

>> The world could use disclosure of some reasonably complex cfengine
>> configurations; there is interesting stuff in the cfengine
>> documentation, but it's probably not enough to satisfy those that
>> don't "get it."
>>
>> The "tutorial" document probably needs to have an extended cfd
>> example.
>>
>> It also might benefit from an example of how to have a 3-tier cfengine
>> configuration, with a central server and then a set of "assistants"
>> that the bottom tier servers hit on to get their configuration
>> updates.
>
> I am implementing cfengine on  around 200 boxes (Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD,
> roughly 160:30:10)  The enviroment is essentially 3 tiered,  http / Java
> virtual machines / Oracle databases  and then split down application /
> geographic lines which provides a well defined set of classes which all
> "should"  look pretty similar and generally must be upgraded together.
>
> I have found the documentation to be somewhat opaque, I have had problems
> "getting it" !  I think cfengine really does require some adjustments in the
> way you think about systems management.
>
> Only by implementing little examples and gradually increasing their scope
> have I been able to start making some inroads.  That said, it seems highly
> likely that cfengine is a very good fit for my particular environment.
>
> I think more examples would help and when I get mine working, I will happily
> contribute. Perhaps however cfengine is so emphatically "what you make it"
> that explicit examples may send out misleading messages about the
> functionality available? Whatever, the more examples I can see the better I
> am equipped to make decisions about possible approaches to my particular
> problems.

I think your three tiered example (three teared example? :)) would be
appreciated by others. If you write a little cfdb-like html description,
I will make it available on the web site.

cheers,
Mark
Work: +47 22453272            Email:  Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no
Fax : +47 22453205            WWW  :  http://www.iu.hio.no/~mark