help-cpp2html

[help-cpp2html]Re: Output from "configure" on HP for cpp2html

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: [help-cpp2html]Re: Output from "configure" on HP for cpp2html
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 11:07:02 +0100

Ciao Aldo :-)

> checking whether we are using GNU C... no

OK, this actually shows that you're not using a GNU compiler, but this
shouldn't be a problem

> miami:user [3]
> miami:user [3]
> miami:user [3]
> miami:user [3] exit
> miami:user [4]

I don't understand these lines, but maybe these are due to your version
of make program

> script done on Fri Nov  3 18:22:30 2000

> Script started on Fri Nov  3 18:25:41 2000
> miami:user [1] pwd
> /home/revs/cpp2html-1.0
> miami:user [2] find . -type f -newer README
> ./src/Makefile
> ./doc/Makefile
> ./config.log
> ./config.h
> ./config.cache
> ./config.status
> ./stamp-h
> ./Makefile
> ./txtc.sh
> ./script_newer.txt
> ./script_config.txt

mhh... I don't know these two scripts... could you post them to me,
please?

> Script started on Fri Nov  3 18:30:42 2000
> miami:user [1] pwd
> /home/revs/cpp2html-1.0
> miami:user [2] make
> No suffix list.
>         cd . && /home/revs/cpp2html-1.0/missing aclocal
> WARNING: `aclocal' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
>          you modified `acinclude.m4' or `configure.in'.  You might want
>          to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.  Grab them from
>          any GNU archive site.
>         cd . && /home/revs/cpp2html-1.0/missing autoheader
> WARNING: `autoheader' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
>          you modified `acconfig.h' or `configure.in'.  You might want
>          to install the `Autoconf' and `GNU m4' packages.  Grab them
>          from any GNU archive site.
>         cd . \
>           && CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=config.h \
>              /bin/sh ./config.status

I don't like the above WARNINGS: they refer to the fact that you don't
have aclocal and autoheader (programs used by autoconf and automake),
and this is not a problem: you would need them only if you wanted to
develop with autoconf (which creates the configure script): otherwise
the configure script is self contained and it can do without them.

It looks like make tries to rebuild some files, that actually don't need
to be rebuilt!

> WARNING: `automake' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
>          you modified `Makefile.am', `acinclude.m4' or `configure.in'.
>          You might want to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.
>          Grab them from any GNU archive site.

the same with this: automake shouldn't be called!

>         cd .. \
>           && CONFIG_FILES=src/Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status
> creating src/Makefile
>         /bin/sh ../txtc.sh copyright.text
>         /bin/sh ../txtc.sh helptext.text
>         CC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
> -DCPP2HTML_DATA_DIR=\"/home/revs/cpp2html/share/cpp2html\" -g -c main.cc
>         CC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
> -DCPP2HTML_DATA_DIR=\"/home/revs/cpp2html/share/cpp2html\" -g -c generators.cc
>         CC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
> -DCPP2HTML_DATA_DIR=\"/home/revs/cpp2html/share/cpp2html\" -g -c tags.cc
>         CC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
> -DCPP2HTML_DATA_DIR=\"/home/revs/cpp2html/share/cpp2html\" -g -c messages.cc
>         yacc  -d -l optparser.yy && mv y.tab.c optparser.cc
>         if test -f y.tab.h; then \
>         if cmp -s y.tab.h optparser.h; then rm -f y.tab.h; else mv y.tab.h
> optparser.h; fi; \
>         else :; fi
>         CC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
and once again yacc shouldn't be called because the grammar file hasn't
been modified

-DCPP2HTML_DATA_DIR=\"/home/revs/cpp2html/share/cpp2html\" -g -c
optparser.cc
> CC: "/opt/CC/include/CC/yacc.h", line 9: warning: yyparse() declared extern
> after being declared static (101)
> CC: "/opt/CC/include/CC/yacc.h", line 9: error: inconsistent linkage
> specifications for yyparse() (1100)
> CC: "optparser.cc", line 321: warning: statement after goto not reached (105)
> CC: "optparser.cc", line 331: warning: label yynewstate not used (115)
> CC: "optparser.cc", line 521: warning: label yyerrlab not used (115)
> *** Error exit code 1

these errors are due to the file generated by yacc, but once again yacc
shouldn't have been called, because the grammar file wasn't modified.

Indeed I used bison instead of yacc, and there are some differences
between these two tools; this is way one should always provide directly
the file generated by bison (optparser.cc) apart from the grammar file
(optparser.yy): so that the user just compiles the generated file.

a conjecture that I might try is that there are some problems with the
date and the time of these files: it looks like optparser.yy (the yacc
grammar file) is more recent than optparser.cc (created automatically by
yacc), while it should be the contrary! Actually I checked in the
.tar.gz downloaded from ftp.gnu.org and actually the dates and times are
as they should be. So make shouldn't regenerate optparser.cc from
optparser.yy (as it shouldn't call aclocal, automake, and so on...)

Is the date and the time of your system correct?

could you check, after a brand new configure run, on a new untarred
directory, before running make, if the dates and times of these files
are correct, please?

So optparser.cc should be more recent than optparser.yy

thanks for you help :-)

see you soon
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://w3.newnet.it/bettini     |
|           http://infostud.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini     |
|  Mail Home        : address@hidden     |
|  Mail University  : address@hidden            |