help-flex

Re: flex beta 2.5.22 released

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: flex beta 2.5.22 released
Date: 11 Oct 2002 14:22:51 +0200

| On Friday, 11 October 2002,10:22 +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
| > This revealed for instance that test-create is not shipped :(  So this
| > is my first stab to flex's build system.  I have also removed what I
| > know is useless with more recent Autoconf/Automake (2.54/1.7).
|
| Thanks for the patch. I'll review it.

Good :)

| > I have a failure:
| >
| >     Executing test test-c++-multiple-scanners
| >     Test  FAILED. See test-c++-multiple-scanners/OUTPUT for details.
| >
| > I can provide details if this is not known.
|
| It's a known failure.

OK!

| > BTW: Of course I was about to send a ChangeLog, but running `make
| > distcheck' to check my patch killed the ChangeLog.  This is
| > unfortunate.  Today most people write the ChangeLog and have CVS use
| > the ChangeLog as log message, not the converse.
|
| Could you mail me privately about how people accomplish this?

Sorry, I prefer making this in public: it's more ``effective'', and in
addition... we are being taped, so people reading Google will find it
:)

Usually people just use C-x 4 a under Emacs to fill ChangeLog (but do
what you want, no sexism here), then use something like cvsdiff to
wrap a nice postable patch, send the patch, and upon agreement apply
it with `clcommit'.  clcommit is really what helps.  ISTR it's from
the cvs-utils, unless it is the cvsutils (yes, there are two).

In any case, my typical use is: 1. write the ChangeLog, and 2. run
`clcommit': it just does what is needed.  But of course, ChangeLog
must be under CVS from now on.