help-flex

Re: Flex 2.5.23 beta and C++

From: W. L. Estes
Subject: Re: Flex 2.5.23 beta and C++
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:37:15 -0400

On Tuesday, 22 October 2002,23:13 +0200, Hans Aberg wrote:

> But the standard is already here -- since 1998. So C++ isn't changing anymore.

I don't have any reason to believe that the next standard won't break
something crucial and large about the current standard.

> GCC is one of the more compliant C++ compilers.
>
> It should not be a big problem to make code for the current C++ standard,
> and you will not have to worry that it should become broken in a couple of
> years.

What's going to happen is this:

1: We'll get the current c++ interface so that it works (there's one
bug that needs fixing.).

2: We'll make an official release.

3: We'll change the c++ interface so that it's just a wrapper around
the C scanner.

> If I figure out a better way to write the interface, I will report it here.

Thanks for your efforts.

--Will