Re: [Help-glpk] Makefiles for 64 bit Windows

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Makefiles for 64 bit Windows
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 03:07:40 +0400

> I was always curious why there are so many problems with 64 bit
> applications. If someone could e-mail me an explanation (preferably
> written for dummies) i would appreciate.

> In the wikipedia i read this:

> SSE2 instructions on x86 and x64 CPUs do require the data to be
> 128-bit (16-byte) aligned

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packed

Only if operands are of 16-byte long, I suppose.

There is a common rule: the alginment boundary for a data type X
cannot be more than a multiple of sizeof(X) (it is assumed that
sizeof(X) = 2^n). Otherwise, an array of type X would need to have
"holes" that contradicts to definition of sizeof(X).

In glpk the size of all basic data types are not greater than 8 bytes,
that's why I do not understand where the alignment error may happen.