[Help-glpk] COIN-OR compiled with MathProg instructions and editor synta

From: Harley
Subject: [Help-glpk] COIN-OR compiled with MathProg instructions and editor syntax highlighting
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:59:40 +1100

I have added the procedures provided by Noli Sicad for compiling the COIN-OR CBC application with GLPK MathProg to the GLPK Wikibook under the section " GLPK/Mixing GLPK with other solver packages" in the GLPK WikiBook. The main issue with getting CBC working with MathProg is that GLPK has been upgraded from 4.45 to 4.47 for the 2.8 version and the main CBC code hasn't yet been updated to reflect the different layout of 4.47 src files. If you use the 2.7 stable version of CBC, rather than the latest 2.8 version, it all works very simply. I also discovered that Noli lives in Melbourne (I am only a short train ride away), and considering the global reach of the GLPK forums, find that quite weird.

Also, I have recently adopted Sublime Text 2 as my new editor of choice and have developed a simple syntax highlighting package for working with GNU MathProg. The editor is NOT open source, but not expensive and runs natively on OSX, Linux and Windows and the one user license covers all your machines. If you need a multi-platform powerful text editor that runs on different platforms then I would recommend this product. This single editor has replaced notepad++ on Windows, and Textmate on OSX and gedit on Linux (never really found an editor I loved on Linux and VIM and Emacs are definitely NOT on my favorite list). I am not associated with this product in any way, as I only became aware of it when Pragmatic recently released a screencast on using the editor, but I am impressed.

I did consider adding the code for the
MathProg package for the Sublime editor to the WikiBook, but it is large and may be of little general interest. Just drop me an email and I will send it to you if you want to try it out.

Harley
     Dr. Harley Mackenzie         ABN:   36 348 783 012

     HARD Software                Web:   www.hardsoftware.com
     PO BOX 8004                  Tel:   +61 3 5222 3435
     Newtown 3220, Australia      Email: address@hidden