Re: [Help-glpk] Unix batch execution

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Unix batch execution
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 07:23:31 +1300

Hi Reg, all

To:           glpk <address@hidden>
Subject:      [Help-glpk] Unix batch execution
From:         Reginald Beardsley <address@hidden>
Date:         Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:41:02 -0800 (PST)

> I've cobbled together an example on the wiki of
> running jobs using a very minimalist queueing
> arrangement.

[snip: remainder of explanation]

Looks good!  I "accepted" your revisions.  I also
took the liberty of putting in a hyperlink and
swapping over the "w/" to "with".

By the way, did you consider using GNU parallel:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_parallel

GNU parallel requires Perl and will probably need
to be downloaded and installed:

  $ tar -xjf parallel-20111022.tar.bz2
  $ cd parallel-20111022/
  $ ./configure && make
  $ sudo make install

This has some drawbacks and assumes an internet
connection.  On the other hand, Awk is universal.
Notwithstanding, I found GNU parallel great to use.

> I have done very large jobs with scripts like
> this that took all weekend on a cluster and on
> occasion come in on a Monday morning to discover
> the job died because I completely filled a 2 TB
> filesystem with the output.

All in the one subdirectory I hope.  :)

Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]