Re: New time zones

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: New time zones
Date: 01 May 2001 20:38:14 +0200

    YS> Going through the Gnats reports, I noticed a couple more missing
    YS> time zones.

I've looked into `tar' sources, where GNATS' getdate.y apparently
originates.  The commentary before the time zone table there says:

/* The time zone table.  This table is necessarily incomplete, as time
   zone abbreviations are ambiguous; e.g. Australians interpret "EST"
   as Eastern time in Australia, not as US Eastern Standard Time.
   You cannot rely on getdate to handle arbitrary time zone
   abbreviations; use numeric abbreviations like `-0500' instead.  */

I think we should give up on adding new time zones and update getdate.y
to a newer version instead.  getdate.y seems to be shared by more GNU
programs (similarly as e.g. regexp.c) and I can't see any reason to
divert from it.

I also plan to replace %Z occurrences in strftime calls by %z.  This has
already been applied in the Debian GNATS package long time ago and there
were no problems reported about it.

Any objections?

Milan Zamazal

--
Here is my advice, don't try to program the bleeding edge for the
general populace unless you really, really, really like migraines.